This blog to give me a place to vent about cataloging issues I encounter every day.
Although I use Destiny Library Manager from Follett Software Company and have access to their Alliance Plus records I never accept catalog records from elsewhere without editing to make them suitable for my own catalog.
I love cataloging for a lot of reasons:
  • My mind runs to organizing stuff
  • I love learning about new things and trying to figure out how to make information resources accessible to my students and teachers
  • I'm a bit obsessive about making sure subject headings, keywords, classification numbers, etc. are consistent.
Follow this blog to learn how I catalog my collection, my pet peeves with subject and classification schemes, maybe a little about RDA, the new cataloging rules which are set to replace the old Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, and whatever else I'm inspired by.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Is it Art and technology or Technology and art?

Image courtesy of the Rhode Island School of Design
So here's another little dilemma Sears provides. I'm working on the subject heading "Art" and the note states "SA (See also) ...art and other subjects, e.g. Art and mythology...." A title appears in the collection which has the heading "Art and technology." When I peruse the heading "Technology" there is a similar note saying, "SA technology and other subjects,..." My question then has to be: which is it? "Art and technology" or "Technology and art?" Since both are valid headings both must be considered. Since "Art" comes first alphabetically, I'll use that for now. More later when I've had a chance to look at Library of Congress Authorities (The whole LoC system is down right now for maintenance). In the meantime, what's the relationship between "Art and technology" and Art--Technological innovations?" Research to follow.
In following up I discovered that LoC does indeed use Art and technology with a cross-reference from Technology and art. And it doesn't give the same direction about "Art and ... [other topic]" ot "Technology and ... [other topic]" which Sears gives.


No comments:

Post a Comment