This blog to give me a place to vent about cataloging issues I encounter every day.
Although I use Destiny Library Manager from Follett Software Company and have access to their Alliance Plus records I never accept catalog records from elsewhere without editing to make them suitable for my own catalog.
I love cataloging for a lot of reasons:
  • My mind runs to organizing stuff
  • I love learning about new things and trying to figure out how to make information resources accessible to my students and teachers
  • I'm a bit obsessive about making sure subject headings, keywords, classification numbers, etc. are consistent.
Follow this blog to learn how I catalog my collection, my pet peeves with subject and classification schemes, maybe a little about RDA, the new cataloging rules which are set to replace the old Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, and whatever else I'm inspired by.

Friday, August 7, 2015

Archeology vs. archaeology

For some reason Sears editors prefer to use the spelling a-r-c-h-e-o-l-o-g-y instead of the spelling used by the Library of Congress, archaeology. I'm not sure why this is the case. I noticed that as I'm entering the term into a record my computer actually sees it as a misspelling. I think the editors thinks it's kind of pretentious to put that "a" in the middle of the word but if the entire world recognizes the word with the "a" then what's the issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment