This blog to give me a place to vent about cataloging issues I encounter every day.
Although I use Destiny Library Manager from Follett Software Company and have access to their Alliance Plus records I never accept catalog records from elsewhere without editing to make them suitable for my own catalog.
I love cataloging for a lot of reasons:
  • My mind runs to organizing stuff
  • I love learning about new things and trying to figure out how to make information resources accessible to my students and teachers
  • I'm a bit obsessive about making sure subject headings, keywords, classification numbers, etc. are consistent.
Follow this blog to learn how I catalog my collection, my pet peeves with subject and classification schemes, maybe a little about RDA, the new cataloging rules which are set to replace the old Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, and whatever else I'm inspired by.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

https://arthropodsbio11cabe.wikispaces.com/Minnie+page
I'm working on arthropods now and once again Sears proves itself to be inconsistent. There is no heading for Arthropods or Arthropoda in the current (21st) edition of Sears. However, under Animals there is a note "SA names of orders and classes of the animal kingdom;... [to be added as needed]" So one of the two headings but not both should be used. The dilemma comes in deciding which form to use. Sears uses Amphibians, Arachnids, Invertebrates, Mammals, Reptiles, etc., all English-language versions of their respective orders or classes. But for some reason the editors decided to use the Latin form, Crustacea, instead of Crustaceans for that group of animals. I checked Library of Congress Authorities and they use Arthropods so I decided to do the same. Evidently LoC previously used Arthropoda since many titles are coming up with that subject heading. Why Sears reverts to Crustacea for Crustaceans is a question to which only the editors know the answer for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment