This blog to give me a place to vent about cataloging issues I encounter every day.
Although I use Destiny Library Manager from Follett Software Company and have access to their Alliance Plus records I never accept catalog records from elsewhere without editing to make them suitable for my own catalog.
I love cataloging for a lot of reasons:
  • My mind runs to organizing stuff
  • I love learning about new things and trying to figure out how to make information resources accessible to my students and teachers
  • I'm a bit obsessive about making sure subject headings, keywords, classification numbers, etc. are consistent.
Follow this blog to learn how I catalog my collection, my pet peeves with subject and classification schemes, maybe a little about RDA, the new cataloging rules which are set to replace the old Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, and whatever else I'm inspired by.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Curriculum Video On Demand issues

Starting on the subject heading, "Men," today.

I've updated over 2000 of the Curriculum Video On Demand records since beginning of the project--that's about one-third of the approximately six thousand records done at this point. New records are added each month so it will definitely be an ongoing project. I am deleting some older or less relevant records as I go along.

Since they usually don't have good subject headings and many irrelevant or peripheral ones, Karlene, my assistant, and I spend a lot of time just deleting those unneeded headings. Here's an example of a MARC record as it comes from Infobase Learning before editing and here's the record after editing.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment